Incomings from our European Partner Universities (SEMP)

Who can study at IPZ?

If you are currently enrolled at one of our European Partner Universities you have the possibility to come and study at the Institute of Political Science for one or two semesters.

After the referendum on "mass immigration"

Following the Swiss referendum „on mass immigration“ in February 2014, the European Union suspended negotiations on Switzerland’s full participation in the EU education program Erasmus+, and declared Switzerland a third party country. The student exchange with our partner universities will be continued in the framework of the new "Swiss-European Mobility Programme" (SEMP) with bilateral exchange agreements.

The modalities of SEMP are similar to the ones under Erasmus, Scholarships for incoming students will be covered by the Swiss Government.

For the Learning Agreement, please use the following form: Learning Agreement

Application process

Please follow the steps below if you intend to apply for a student exchange at UZH:

  1. As a precondition to take part in a student exchange at UZH, you need to be nominated by your home university.
  2. After you have been nominated for a student exchange, you will receive an email with the link to the online application form.
  3. Please fill in the application form and upload the required application documents on Mobility Online. You will receive the login for the database in due time. Please find more information about the application documents below.

Application documents

  • Current transcript of records: The transcript can be issued in the national language of your home university. If you do not have a transcript available yet, please upload a copy of your certificate of qualification for university entrance.
  • A copy of your passport / identity card
  • Passport-sized photograph (max. 500x500 pixel)
  • Proof of language skills: Students who intend to take courses in German or English Literature and Linguistic, must proof their proficiency at the level of C1 as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) in the respective language, if it is not their mother tongue.
  • For all other students, UZH recommends a minimum level of B2 (CEFR) in the language of instruction. A proof of your language skills is not mandatory, however, the departmental coordinator at UZH can ask for it.
  • Proof of Bachelor/Undergraduate degree: Mandatory for students who want to study at Master's level at UZH. If you do not have your Bachelor’s diploma available yet, please submit the application nevertheless and upload a copy of your Bachelor degree as soon as you have received it.

Experiential reports

If you are interested in reading reports by previous incoming students, please click here.